My Little Pocketbooks: Why I Love Wednesday #19   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I Love Wednesday #19

Alexis from Reflections of a Bookaholic started a Wednesday Meme called Why I Love Wednesday. Hop on over to Alexis' blog and join in the fun.
This weeks topic...Children's Book
I am in the mist of two of the biggest book I have ever read since Harry Potter.  1Q84 is 900 pages and I am doing the 6 part (46 hour) audiobook.  It is sooo long.  I think I have been listening to this one for almost a month.  I have just reached the half way point.  Wheww!  I am also reading a 550 page for an author review.  Almost done with that.  So with all that said I am thinking of giving myself a month or so of children books.  Yes! I want something short and sweet.  Here are a few books that I am thinking about getting into.
The Mighty Miss Malone
"We are a family on a journey to a place called wonderful" is the motto of Deza Malone's family. Deza is the smartest girl in her class in Gary, Indiana, singled out by teachers for a special path in life. But the Great Depression hit Gary hard, and there are no jobs for black men. When her beloved father leaves to find work, Deza, Mother, and her older brother Jimmie go in search of him, and end up in a Hooverville outside Flint, Michigan. Jimmie's beautiful voice inspires him to leave the camp to be a performer, while Deza and Mother find a new home, and cling to the hope that they will find Father. The twists and turns of their story reveal the devastation of the Depression and prove that Deza truly is the Mighty Miss Malone.

The One And Only Ivan
Ivan is an easygoing gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly ever thinks about it at all.  Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he’s seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob, a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line.  Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home—and his own art—through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it’s up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.
Katherine Applegate blends humor and poignancy to create Ivan’s unforgettable first-person narration in a story of friendship, art, and hope.

What are some of your favorite children books I should check out?  Let me know cause I need to get my kid back!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment