My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk


Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk
Author: David Sedaris
Illustrator: Ian Falconer
Genre: Humor
Hardcover: 176 pages
Release Date:  September 28, 2010
Source:  Picked it up at a book swap last year
Buy the Book:  Amazon
Book Description
Featuring David Sedaris's unique blend of hilarity and heart, this new collection of keen-eyed animal-themed tales is an utter delight. Though the characters may not be human, the situations in these stories bear an uncanny resemblance to the insanity of everyday life.
In "The Toad, the Turtle, and the Duck," three strangers commiserate about animal bureaucracy while waiting in a complaint line. In "Hello Kitty," a cynical feline struggles to sit through his prison-mandated AA meetings. In "The Squirrel and the Chipmunk," a pair of star-crossed lovers is separated by prejudiced family members.
With original illustrations by Ian Falconer, author of the bestselling Olivia series of children's books, these stories are David Sedaris at his most observant, poignant, and surprising.
Review
I picked this book up from a book swap months and months and months ago.  Maybe last year.  Honestly, I can't really remember when it was but it was my first book swap ever.  I thought the title and the cover were cute so I took it home.  And that is when it sat on my bookshelf and collected tons of dust.  
As for the book I had no idea about it and I never read any of the review.  So needless to say I was shocked.  Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk is a collection of short stories about animals talking about and in everyday situations.  Then it gets...weird!  The stories are lets say...different.  Each one of them starts out like a story with a moral underlined meaning for you to learn something by.  But then the ending takes a turn and you are left wondering, "Are you kidding me?"  If you have ever seen the "Sick and Twisted!" Movie Festival (yes I did!) then you will completely understand what this book is about.  Some of the stories are violent and yes twisted.  This is not for kids even if it looks like it.  These animals are not your cute and cuddling kind.  They curse, kill babies, gossip, and even cheat!  Yes! I know. Right! 
I have to say that this book is not for everyone.  If you are into that kind of humor then you will like this book.  It's just not my cup of tea.
 Recommendation
I recommend this book to adults only due to the crazy violence.
Challenges
This book is number 5 in my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
This book is number 32 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment