My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Hellbent   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, October 8, 2012

Review: Hellbent

Author:  Cherie Priest
Genre: Paranormal
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Release Date: August 30, 2011
Audiobook: 10 hours and 35 minutes
Narrator: Natalie Ross

Source: Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
 BAD TO THE BONE
Vampire thief Raylene Pendle doesn’t need more complications in her life. Her Seattle home is already overrun by a band of misfits, including Ian Stott, a blind vampire, and Adrian deJesus, an ex-Navy SEAL/drag queen. But Raylene still can’t resist an old pal’s request: seek out and steal a bizarre set of artifacts. Also on the hunt is a brilliant but certifiably crazy sorceress determined to stomp anyone who gets in her way. But Raylene’s biggest problem is that the death of Ian’s vaunted patriarch appears to have made him the next target of some blood-sucking sociopaths.  Now Raylene must snatch up the potent relics, solve a murder, and keep Ian safe—all while fending off a psychotic sorceress. But at least she won’t be alone. A girl could do a lot worse for a partner than an ass-kicking drag queen—right?
Review
I have listen to the first book in this series and really liked it.  Read my review for Bloodshot.  So needless to say I liked this one too. 
I have to say that the storyline of Raylene the vampire thief and Adrian her hot ex-Navy seal slash drag queen friend is funny and incredibly unique.  To me at least.  This time the story had a few elements that were over the top funny and just over the top.  
In this book, Raylene has to steal a box of penis bones.  (I can't even type it without laughing).  I know that you are saying..."Alysia there is no such thing as penis bones."  *snickering*  I know but apparently unicorns, werewolves, and other mystical creatures do have them.  And why are they so important and valuable?  Because they are used in magical spells of course.  Cherie Priest  is a writes in a funny (please don't take it serious funny) relax style that makes you completely forget Raylene is a vampire.  There is no "need to feed", "bloodsucking" or crazy vampire sexual lust here.  And I love Cherie Priest for that.      
This audiobook has tons of action to keep you engaged.  Enough funny to keep you laughing and plenty of content to keep you interested just in case you didn't read the first book.
By the way...Raylene is a good swear like a sailor!  So if four letter words hurt your ears, you might want to read the book.
One more thing, Natalie Ross did a great job as the narrator of this audiobook.  I could not imagine anyone else reading this book.  She is Raylene. BRAVO!        
Recommendations
I would recommend this book to adults due to the large amount of cussing.
Challenges
This audiobook is number 40 in my Goodreads Challenge 
This audiobook is number 15 in my Audiobook Challenge
Other Books In the Series
 

No comments:

Post a Comment