My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Bonesetter's Daughter   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Friday, December 7, 2012

Review: The Bonesetter's Daughter

The Bonesetter's Daughter
Author:  Amy Tan
Genre: Fiction
Publisher:  Ballantine Books
Release Date:  January 29, 2002
Paperback:  416 pages

Source:  From my bookshelf
Buy the Book:  Amazon.com

Book Description
Ruth Young and Art Kamen live together in San Francisco, and the deterioration of their relationships renders Ruth unable to speak. Her Chinese mother, LuLing, who now has Alzheimer's, is another complicating factor in her life, but the diary she kept as a young woman still exists, and when Ruth reads it she comes to a better understanding of her family's dark history, her mother's sadness, and her own problems. A New York Times Notable Book for 2001.
Review
 This is my third Amy Tan book.  I have not read a novel from her in years and this book helped me to remember why she is one of my favorite authors.  Amy Tan has a timeless writing style.  That is the only way I can describe it.  She doesn't write overly poetic or too simple.  Amy Tan writes with a unique style that is perfect in every way.  Her Chinese voice and American Chinese voice interchange with ease.
This book addresses mother-daughter relations and the complexes feelings involved.  Ruthie is the daughter most of us are.  At times, our mom's are not making any sense to us, other times we are just fitting them into our busy lives, while we trying to be mothers to our kids. 
I love reading books about historical Chinese culture, like Snow Flower and The Secret Fan and The Concubine Saga.  This book mixes the past with the present of the women in one family.  From generation to generation the reader gets to see why things are the the way they are in one family.  Why does Ruthie's mom think she going to be punished? 
I like the way Amy Tan makes the sequence of events follow so easily in this book.  You can see the cause and effect in each chapter.
The only reason I am taking a star away, is this book did not have me hooked like her other book Saving Fish From Drowning.  Was I missing something?  I think it was just the slow start in the beginning.  It gets me every time. 
Overall, a good read.
Recommendations
I recommend this book to readers of all ages. 
Challenges
This book is number 9 in my Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
This book is number 16 in my POC Reading Challenge
This book is number 14 in my TBR Reading Challenge
Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month
 
Did you read this book? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment