My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Merry Christmas Alex Cross   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: Merry Christmas Alex Cross

Merry Christmas Alex Cross
Author: James Patterson
Genre: Crime
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Release Date: November 12, 2012
Audiobook: 6 hours and 8 minutes
Narrator: Michael Boatman (Narrator), Stephen Kunken (Narrator), Cristin Milioti (Narrator)

Source: Purchased from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon.com

Book Description
It's Christmas Eve and Detective Alex Cross has been called out to catch someone who's robbing his church's poor box. That mission behind him, Alex returns home to celebrate with Bree, Nana, and his children. The tree decorating is barely underway before his phone rings again - a horrific hostage situation is quickly spiraling out of control. Away from his own family on the most precious of days, Alex calls upon every ounce of his training, creativity, and daring to save another family. Alex risks everything - and he may not make it back alive on this most sacred of family days.
Alex Cross is a hero for our time, and never more so than in this story of family, action, and the deepest moral choices. Merry Christmas, Alex Cross will be a holiday classic for years to come.
Review
This was my first book by James Patterson and I can see the overall appeal of his novels.  The story was well written and action packed.  The characters are very well thought out and the story was more or less like chew gum.  I say that because it was almost a novella but had enough story to keep you interested with a little not depth.  The book read like a script to an episode of Law and Order or one of the many crime shows on TV.  There was a happy hero drawn into a madman's world only to get the bad guy with little to no harm to anyone.  And the ending was quick and clean. 
The real reason I give this such a high rating is for the overall performance of the audiobook.  I was thrilled to have an audiobook that really made me think I was listening to a TV show.  The main character, Alex Cross was read by Michael Boatman with Stephen Kunken and Cristin Milioti reading the villians.  They all were perfect readers for there parts and I mean perfect.  The only thing I would change would be having one other male voice instead of Stephen Kunken reading two male villains.  I loved the sound effects too!  When guns are fired you here them firing and they even included the sounds of glass breaking.  Even the music in the background was perfect.  It was played at the right times and did not over power the narrator one bit.
I did a review of Resonance (an audio movie) and I think this audiobook would be a great study tool for them.  (Since this is what they were aiming for)
  This one rocked as an audiobook.  Overall, I liked it!
Recommendations
I recommend this book to adults due to the violence.
Challenges
This book is number 54 in my Goodreads Challenge.
This book is number 22 in my Audiobook Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment