My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Can You Keep A Secret?   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: Can You Keep A Secret?

Can You Keep A Secret?
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: Dell Publishing
Release Date: December 27, 2005
Paperback: 400 pages

Source: I got it from an anonymous book blogger during Secret Santa Swap (2011)
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...
 
Review I got this book several years ago and I have no idea who mailed it to me.  I participated in a Bloggers Santa Swap in 2011 and there was no name attached to it so the sender of the book will always be a secret.  (Ironic isn't it)
This story of Emma Corrigan is funny!  My book club selected it as the Humor book of the month and it as on point.  I am not going to tell you much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it for you.
 Emma is in her 20's and has jumped from career to career trying to find what she is good at.  Her boyfriend Conner is a Ken-doll look alike and everyone thinks they are "the perfect couple".  Everyone but her.  When she reveals her endless list of life secrets to a stranger, Emma's life and relationships are forever changed.
Sophie Kinsella writes this book as if Emma is a real person who we all know.  Someone we might even be related to.  Emma's character has flaws, insecurities, and secrets of course.  There are so many "OMG! Did I say that moments?" in the book that had me laughing out-loud.  I am not really a person that lets things slip out but Emma is and it's hilarious!   The story's path is very predictable but the crazy things that happen along the way and the odd supporting characters make it a fun journey.
This book is not a deep, intellectual book on women and relationships but more of a light entertainment that you need once in awhile.  This book got me over my reader's burn out and helped me back into reading for fun again.  To many serious heavy books can make you forget the simple joy of a good book and a good laugh.  
This is my second Sophie Kinsella book and I like them both equally.  I have to say, Sophia Kinsella is now my "go to author"The are so many funny moments in this book, it was hard to put it down.
Reviews by Other Bloggers Books Love Me
Review Carnival 
Reflections of a Bookaholic
  Recommendations
I recommend this book to adult readers due to the language and sex.
 
Challenges
This book is number 13 in my Books by Women Reading Challenge
This book is number 18 in my Good Reads Challenge
This book is number 7 in my Off My Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 8 in my TBR Reading Challenge
This book is number 2 in my Dusty Bookshelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 10 in my Genre Variety Reading Challenge

Mocha Girls Read Book of the Month

No comments:

Post a Comment