My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Supreme's at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, May 13, 2013

Review: The Supreme's at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat

The Supreme's at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat
Author: Edward Kelsey Moore
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Knopf
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Manuscript copy: 320 pages

Source: I received this ARC from the publishing company.
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Meet Odette, Clarice, and Barbara Jean in the New York Times best-selling novel . . .
Earl’s All-You-Can-Eat is home away from home for this inseparable Plainview, Indiana, trio. Dubbed “the Supremes” by high school pals in the tumultuous 1960s, they weather life’s storms together for the next four decades. Now, during their most challenging year yet, dutiful, proud, and talented Clarice must struggle to keep up appearances as she deals with her husband’s humiliating infidelities. Beautiful, fragile Barbara Jean is rocked by the tragic reverberations of a youthful love affair. And fearless Odette engages in the most terrifying battle of her life while contending with the idea that she has inherited more than her broad frame from her notorious pot-smoking mother, Dora.
Through marriage, children, happiness, and the blues, these strong, funny women gather each Sundayat the same table at Earl’s diner for delicious food, juicy gossip, occasional tears, and uproarious banter.
With wit and love, style and sublime talent, Edward Kelsey Moore brings together four intertwined love stories, three devoted allies, and two sprightly earthbound spirits in a big-hearted debut novel that embraces the lives of people you will never forget.
Review
What a cute and funny book!  I had no idea about the contents of this book or even what the story was about.  I received this ARC in a manuscript form from the publishing company last year.  It did not have a synopsis on it or any cover art.  Just the title and legal stuff on a white sheet of paper as the cover.  I looked it up on Amazon when I received it and nothing was up yet.  So I just decided to jump into and see what would happen.  
The story of Odette, Barbara Jean and Clarice aka The Supremes was a mixture of humor, social satire of the 1960's and just plain great dialog.  The story moved at a good pace but slowed down a bit in the middle.  The story is told from each of the women perspectives about their past, their families and of course the local gossip about others.  As you can guess it got a bit confusing in the beginning keeping the three ladies, three husbands, countless towns folks and their kids straight.  Even now, after I finished the book I am not 100% sure I followed Barbara Jean's story all the way through.  I wish there was some way the author could have helped be out a bit more by separating the storytellers even more.
But overall the story of these three women was really well told.  While I was reading this book I had to stop and remind myself the book was written by a man.  I wonder if Mr. Moore based any of his characters off of the women in his life?  Hmmm!  Say a crazy aunt that thinks she can tell the future?  Hmm!  I wonder.  
Reviews by Other Bloggers
Recommendations
I recommend this book to adults due to the language and some sexual content.

Challenges
This book is number 8 in my Off The Shelf Reading Challenge
This book is number 21 in my Good Reads Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment