My Little Pocketbooks: August 2013: Wrap Up   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

August 2013: Wrap Up

I am finally caught up on all (almost all) my blog post from June and July.  Whew!  I won't do that again.  I should say I will try not to do that again.  
Confession time!  I have been in a reading slump for some time now and I think it was BEA's fault.  I was so OVERWHELMED with so many books in my house after I got home that I didn't know what to do.  Where to start and I just didn't want to look at books for awhile?  *gasp* I know!  I said it!  But I think I am coming out of it.  SLOWWWWLY! So that is enough chatting let's get to the wrap up for August.  I love this only when I have hit my personal goal.  Nope I am not telling you what it is.  I just have a number, a small number in my head for the number of books read and reviewed on my blog.  Ok!  Now here are the stats.

I posted 21 post on this blog and August was Native American Heritage Month.
  
  This month I bought
  1 books. (A total of 7 book so far this year.  Audiobooks and e-books don't count since they don't take up space on my bookcase.)

 Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga Reviews where we all can link up our post about the new books in our lives.  I also add my new pocketbooks too! 
From Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore
Life is close to perfect for Charlotte and Curtis Black--except that their son Matthew's girlfriend, Racquel, is eight months pregnant and Racquel's mother, Mona, and Charlotte can't stand each other.
On the day of Racquel's baby shower, Charlotte and Mona have a major blow up and the stress sends Racquel into early labor. Curtis is displeased with Charlotte's behavior, something that slowly but surely drives a new wedge between them. At the same time, Curtis is consumed with church business, and trying to uncover who is behind a series of mysterious letters that threaten to expose Curtis's biggest secret. Increasingly furious with his mother, Matthew gives Charlotte an ultimatum--treat Racquel and her mom with respect or she'll be cut off from seeing the baby altogether. This sends Charlotte down a road of revenge. Once again, the Black household is torn apart, and it will take a miracle for anyone to recover.
This was a book of the month selection for the month of August by Mocha Girls Read.

From the Library
“I dreamed a dream of angels. I saw them and heard them in a great and endless galactic night. I saw the lights that were these angels, flying here and there, in streaks of irresistible brilliance . . . I felt love around me in this vast and seamless realm of sound and light . . . And something akin to sadness swept me up and mingled my very essence with the voices who sang, because the voices were singing of me . . . ”
Thus begins Anne Rice’s lyrical, haunting new novel, a metaphysical thriller of angels and assassins that once again summons up dark and dangerous worlds set in times past. Anne Rice takes us to other realms, this time to the world of fifteenth-century Rome, a city of domes and rooftop gardens, rising towers and crosses beneath an ever-shifting layer of clouds; familiar hills and tall pines . . . of Michelangelo and Raphael, of the Holy Inquisition and of Leo X, second son of a Medici, holding forth from the papal throne . . .
And into this time, into this century, Toby O’Dare, former government assassin, is summoned by the angel Malchiah to solve a terrible crime of poisoning and to search out the truth of a haunting by an earthbound restless spirit—a diabolical dybbuk.
O’Dare soon discovers himself in the midst of dark plots and counterplots surrounded by a darker and more dangerous threat as the veil of ecclesiastical terror closes in around him.
As he embarks on a powerful journey of atonement, O’Dare is reconnected with his own past, with matters light and dark, fierce and tender, with the promise of salvation and with a deeper and richer vision of love.
I didn't have this book and when I saw it from my library on Overdrive I had to get it quick since I just finished book one.

The beloved American classic about a young girl's coming-of-age at the turn of the century, Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a poignant and moving tale filled with compassion and cruelty, laughter and heartache, crowded with life and people and incident. The story of young, sensitive, and idealistic Francie Nolan and her bittersweet formative years in the slums of Williamsburg has enchanted and inspired millions of readers for more than sixty years. By turns overwhelming, sublime, heartbreaking, and uplifting, the daily experiences of the unforgettable Nolans are raw with honesty and tenderly threaded with family connectedness -- in a work of literary art that brilliantly captures a unique time and place as well as incredibly rich moments of universal experience. 
This was a book of the month selection for the month of September by Mocha Girls Read.


 
Review Recap  
Review: Angel Time
Pocketbook Post 
Number of books completed
(I have to clarify what I mean by completed.  Read. Reviewed. Posted Review = Complete)
5
 
Book Blogger Events

Bout of Books
I missed it!!!!!!!! 
Reading Challenge Updates
 
 Here is a August Wrap Up of the number of books read and reviewed for the 11 Reading Challenges I signed up for.   
Off The Shelves Reading Challenge - 1 book   
Audiobook Reading Challenge - 5 audiobooks    
Anne Rice Reading Challenge - 1 books    
Books by Women Reading Challenge - 3 books   
TBR Pile Reading Challenge - 1 books    
2013 Resolutions Reading Challenge - 0 resolutions    
Dusty Bookshelf Reading Challenge - 1 books    
Historical Fiction Reading Challenge - 1 book   
Variety Genre Reading Challenge - 2 book   
Good Reads Reading Challenge - 5 books    
Reading Challenge Addict - 2 challenges
  
Click on the giveaway button to enter to win one, two or three giveaways currently underway.  
How was your August?  (Besides hot!)  Did you get any good books in the mail?  Or from the bookstore?  Do tell!  Whatca get?!

No comments:

Post a Comment