My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place - The Mysterious Howling   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place - The Mysterious Howling


The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place - The Mysterious Howling
Author: Maryrose Wood
Genre:  Children's Fiction
Publisher: Harper Audio
Release Date:  February 23, 2010
Audiobook:  5 hours and 28 minutes
Narrator: Katherine Kellgren
Series: The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place (Book 1 - 4)

Source: Free from Audiobooksync.com
Buy the Book: Amazon
Book Description
Found running wild in the forest of Ashton Place, the Incorrigibles are no ordinary children: Alexander, age ten or thereabouts, keeps his siblings in line with gentle nips; Cassiopeia, perhaps four or five, has a bark that is (usually) worse than her bite; and Beowulf, age somewhere-in-the-middle, is alarmingly adept at chasing squirrels.
Luckily, Miss Penelope Lumley is no ordinary governess. Only fifteen years old and a recent graduate of the Swanburne Academy for Poor Bright Females, Penelope embraces the challenge of her new position. Though she is eager to instruct the children in Latin verbs and the proper use of globes, first she must help them overcome their canine tendencies.
But mysteries abound at Ashton Place: Who are these three wild creatures, and how did they come to live in the vast forests of the estate? Why does Old Timothy, the coachman, lurk around every corner? Will Penelope be able to teach the Incorrigibles table manners and socially useful phrases in time for Lady Constance's holiday ball? And what on earth is a schottische?

Review
What a fun listen!  Have you ever heard the saying, "Were you raised by wolves?"  This book gives the reader a glimpse into the lives of three young children who were raised by wolves.
When 15 year old Miss Penelope Lumley, is hired as the governess she has a no real idea what an undertaking civilizing three children who were raised by wolves really can be.  But Miss Lumley takes every single challenge with over the top grace and moves their progress from ok to outstanding.  The book is not serious at all and all thought of reality needs to be put on a shelf.  I had to tell myself that a few times.  I guess I need to read more children books.
This was a fun read once I let my "adult" go.  I had to think several times while I was listening to this audiobook "is the vocabulary over the age of the kids it's intended for."  According to Amazon, this audiobook is labeled for  grades 3rd to 7th, but I would have to put it towards the older kids (grades 7th and 8th) due to a scene with a drunk stepmother at a party, a hunting party going after the kids and as well as the vocabulary used.  
This is one of those audiobooks that should always be listened to first.  I don't think I would have liked this book if I had to read it on my own.  The narrator Katherine Kellgren did an outstanding job.  She made her voice little for the parts she read for the little girl Cassiopeia and her English accent was perfect.  I really loved her voice for Lady Constance.  It made me smile every single time I heard it.  There are a total of four books in the series and I think I might listen to the others to see what happens to the children.  And to find out where they really came from?  The children are really well written characters and Miss Lumley is a hoot.
Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations
I recommend this book to children 13 years and older due to the vocabulary.

Challenges
This book is number 18 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number 6 in my Historical Fiction Challenge
This book is number 21 in my Women's Reading Challenge
This book is number 31 in my Goodreads Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment