My Little Pocketbooks: Quicky Review #12: My Soul to Lose and The Booktaker   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, December 30, 2013

Quicky Review #12: My Soul to Lose and The Booktaker

It's time for another Quicky Reviews.
As you know it's the end of the year and I don't like having dangling reviews starting my new year and staring me in the face. There is just something about starting the new year with zero book on your "To Review" pile. So here are two more and after these two I just have 1 book review (for next year) and 3 mini reviews to go. (Must do now!)
These two audiobooks were also read for the  R.I.P. Reading Challenge (October) and they were both free short audiobooks from Audible.com.  These are the last for that challenge.
Here are just a few sentences on these short (about 2 hours or less) stories.
There are other Quicky Reviews for you to check out too and don't worry there will be more to come. I like short stories because most of them are FREE and I can get in and out of one in no time.
Below are the links to the other Quicky Reviews this year. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ORRO6The Booktaker
Author: Bill Pronzini
Genre: Mystery
Publisher: AudioGO
Audiobook: 1 hour and 27 minutes
Narrator: Nick Sullivan
Source: Free from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon 
Book Description 
The Nameless Detective is called upon to find out how rare books and maps are being stolen from an antiquarian bookshop with a faultless alarm system. He goes undercover in the store, only to be foiled when a theft occurs right under his nose. Then, as he ponders the case (while on a date with the lovely Kerry), he's violently struck from behind by a car that seems bent on driving him off the road. Will Nameless survive this attempt on his life and solve the case?
 
My Thoughts
It was just ok.  There was a good set up and and good flow but a completely mediocre ending.  I was just excepting a better ending with the storyline and all.  Oh well!
http://www.amazon.com/My-Soul-to-Lose/dp/B005NDAV1W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3
My Soul to Lose
Author: Rachel Vincent
Genre: Fiction 
Publisher: Harlequin Enterprises, Ltd.
Audiobook: 1 hour and 48 minutes
Narrator: Amanda Ronconi
Source: Free from Audible.com
Buy the Book: Amazon

Book Description
t was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed, and it's the worst day of her life....Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.
She tries to convince everyone she's fine - despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream that comes burbling up again and again.
Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....

My Thoughts
I was really into this one.  I love the storyline and the characters were well written.  The only issue I had was the title.  What does it have to do with the story?  
Did you read or listen to either one of these?  What did you think of them?  Have you read any other books by these authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment