My Little Pocketbooks: Review: Carter Finally Gets It   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: Carter Finally Gets It

Carter Finally Gets It
Author: Brent Crawford
Genre: YA Fiction
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Release Date: April 7, 2009
Audiobook: 8 hours and 21 minutes
Narrator: Nick Podehl
Source: Free from Audiobooksync.com

http://amzn.to/1cfjDb0

Book Description

Meet Will Carter, but feel free to call him Carter. (Yes, he knows it's a lazy nickname, but he didn't have much say in the matter.)
Here are five things you should know about him:
1. He has a stuttering problem, particularly around boobs and belly buttons.
2. He battles Attention Deficit Disorder every minute of every day unless he gets distracted.
3. He's a virgin, mostly because he's no good at talking to girls (see number 1).
4. He's about to start high school.
5. He's totally not ready.
Join Carter for his freshman year, where he'll search for sex, love, and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process, he'll almost kill a trombone player, face off with his greatest nemesis, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once, but twice), get caught up in a messy love triangle, meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise the hell out of everyone, including himself.

Review

OMG! This book is too much!  Wow!
Several (two) years ago Audiobooksync gave this book away during their month of free Summer Reads.  Of course I had to get my hands on a free audiobook or two.  I had no background information about this book or the author.  That is a typical MO for me.  Just from the synopsis I thought I would get into it one day.  After the first 5 chapters, I was hooked and I was laughing out loud at all the antics of Carter and his friends.  But mostly Carter.  Then my Overdrive app crashed and the book was lost.  Gone!  Yes!  Can you image losing a book you love and are not done with?  I was devastated!!!
For Bout of Books 11 I set a goal to purchase this audiobook and complete it.  And YEAH me!  Goal accomplished.  
Carter is a teenage boy going into his first year of high school.  With a stuttering problem, ADD and a virgin Carter had everything going against him.  EVERYTHING!  But for some crazy reason Carter's antics, misguided opinions and friends fall in and out of trouble at every single turn.  Nothing is smooth sailing for Carter despite the efforts of his older and cooler sister.  From joining the football team to trying out for the school play Carter finds himself in the oddest situations that will have you literally laughing and laughing.  This book is hilarious.  I think it is funny to me because I am an adult.  This book is a look back on situations I thought were important and looking back at my younger self, they were not that big of a deal.  But like Carter they were Earth shattering and extremely 911 important.  
This book was banned and has been challenged in various cities due to language, sexual reference, and underage drinking.  I agree with this statements there are tons of these items in each chapter.  But that is the flavor of the high school male now a days.   I think this book would be better suited for high school students but anyone younger should not read this.  As most books there should be an age appropriateness guideline and this is one.  I would say this is a 16 year old and older but not a complete ban.  That is ridiculous!  
The narrator Nick Podehl gets 5 stars as well.  He made this audiobook fun and engaging.  BRAVO!  Nick is an actor not a reader which is the perfect quality in an audiobook narrator.  OUTSTANDING JOB NICK!

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to older teens and older readers due to the language, under age drinking, bullying, and sexual references.

Challenges

This book is number 3 in my Banned Book Reading Challenge.
This book is number 26 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge.
This book is number 18 in my New to Me Author Reading Challenge.
This book is number 35 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge.

Other Books in the Series

http://amzn.to/1mE6rSrhttp://amzn.to/1tHtIqFhttp://amzn.to/1vAHpJx

No comments:

Post a Comment