My Little Pocketbooks: Quicky Review #23: Girl with Glasses and I Love You Too   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Quicky Review #23: Girl with Glasses and I Love You Too

Welcome back to another Quicky Review everyone.
A lot of the time I like to read short stories, prequels and free audiobooks that are short and sweet.  But why do a full review on a book that is say...80 pages long.  So I do Quicky Reviews for the shorties and children books as well.  Basically, the short stories get short reviews.
Here are just a few sentences on one children's book and one short audiobook.
There are other Quicky Reviews for you to check out too and don't worry there will be more to come. I like short stories because most of them are FREE and I can get in and out of one in no time.
Previous Quicky Review
Quicky Review #21: Go the F**k to Sleep & Seriously, Just Go to Sleep 
Quicky Review #22: The Initiate, The Son and The Traitor

Genre: Essay
Publisher: Audible Studios
Release Date: October 15, 2013
 Audiobook:  2 hours and 43 minutes
Narrator:  Margie Lenhart
 Source: Free from Audible.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGBE1NY

 Book Description

Being a Girl with Glasses isn't just a style choice; it's a way of life. If you've ever had your specs steam up when walking into a bar, squinted into the sun on the soccer field, or laid eyes on a new haircut only after your locks are strewn across the floor, you know what it's like to be a GWG.
Marissa Walsh has worn glasses since third grade. Now -- ten pairs of glasses, one pair of prescription sunglasses, and endless pairs of contacts later -- she has fully embraced her four-eyed fate. As she recounts her optic history through the lenses of each pair of glasses -- from the Sergio Valentes and the Sally Jessy Raphaels to the pseudo John Lennons and the dreaded health plan specs -- at last she found them . . . the perfect pair.
Marissa's comic look at a life behind glass is at once a poignant personal journey and a wry, canny exploration of just what it means to be a glasses-wearing kind of girl. Peppered with pop culture references and complete with appendixes of resources, classic GWG moments, and helpful tips on finding the right frames for your face, Girl with Glasses will give you reason to commiserate with your shortsighted sisters and celebrate your less-than-perfect vision.

My Thoughts

I haven't been a GWG (girl with glasses) and I thought this would be a look behind the lenses but nope.  I didn't any unique or different perspective on being a woman growing up wearing glasses and how the world response to you.  I got the history of frames and frame picks.  What is the point?
 
 
Author: Ziggy Marley
Genre: Children's Book 
1 and up
Publisher: Akashic Books
Release Date: April 15, 2014
 
 E-book:  48 pages
 Source: Free from E-library
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGBE1NY

 Book Description

Released simultaneously with Ziggy Marley’s new album, Fly Rasta.
A debut children's book by reggae icon Ziggy Marley with illustrations by Ag Jatkowska.
A beautifully illustrated, multicultural children's picture book based on one of Ziggy Marley's most beloved songs, "I Love You Too." The book explores a child's relationship with parents, nature, and the unstoppable force of love. This is Ziggy's first book, though his foray into children's music is extensive and very well known. He is the singer of "Believe in Yourself," the popular theme song of the hit TV show, Arthur.
From the introduction by Ziggy Marley:
"One day I was in my kitchen making breakfast with my then three-year-old daughter Judah. She looked at me and said, 'I love you.' I spontaneously replied to her, 'I love you too.' From that came the song and now the book based on the lyrics. I hope you share and enjoy this with your loved ones as I have with mine. I love you too."

My Thoughts

What a cute book!  As I was reading it I could hear the song in my head.  I love the illustrations of various kinds of families and the words are repetitive and clear for new readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment