My Little Pocketbooks: September 2014 Reading Queue   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September 2014 Reading Queue

 Reading Queue is a meme hosted by Book Tasty and Books: A True Story.  Click the covers to read more about the books I list below.
 Here we are in September.  Man that was quick.
As I said last month, I am saying again this month.  I didn't get to read as much as I wanted to this month.  I did knock one book off my DNF list.  YEAH.  Now I have 5 more to go.  But the focus of this month will be getting a book or two off of my TBR pile.  That reading challenge is not going well.
What is the reading queue all about?
Reading Queue is a monthly meme where you share what books you plan to read for the month. You can hop to other blogs and see what others are reading and maybe find someone reading the same thing as you! Or you can ask for people to vote on what you should read next if you can’t decide.

So here is what I have lined up for the month of September.

Book Club Pick for September
http://amzn.to/1tKeinB
When it was published in 1955, Lolita immediately became a cause célèbre because of the freedom and sophistication with which it handled the unusual erotic predilections of its protagonist. But Vladimir Nabokov's wise, ironic, elegant masterpiece owes its stature as one of the twentieth century's novels of record not to the controversy its material aroused but to its author's use of that material to tell a love story almost shocking in its beauty and tenderness.

Awe and exhilaration–along with heartbreak and mordant wit–abound in this account of the aging Humbert Humbert's obsessive, devouring, and doomed passion for the nymphet Dolores Haze. Lolita is also the story of a hypercivilized European colliding with the cheerful barbarism of postwar America, but most of all, it is a meditation on love–love as outrage and hallucination, madness and transformation. With an introduction by Martin Amis.
 From My DNF Pile
http://amzn.to/1wO7edd
METAtropolis Free Story: 'In the Forests of the Night' by Jay Lake, Tobias Buckell, Elizabeth Bear, John Scalzi, and Karl Schroeder
I started this free audiobook several months ago and I never finished it.  I have no idea why.  I think I just had to listen to other audiobooks and this one got pushed to the back.  I have listened to 1 out of 9 hours already.
For My Reading Challenges
http://amzn.to/1n3UMN0
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
This is an oldie for sure.  I have had this book forever and when I complete it I will have another book towards my Dusty Shelf, TBR Pile, Rewind, Off My Bookshelf as well as Goodreads reading challenge.  I love when 1 book crosses more than 1 reading challenge.

Finished Last Month
The Last Dickens by Matthew Pearl (review coming soon)
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (review coming soon)
The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett (review coming soon)
 
Still Reading 
This will be on going forever.  One page a day.
 
Didn't Finish Last Month 
If I get the other books done this will be my extra credit book.  

What are you planning on reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment