My Little Pocketbooks: Review: The Time Keeper   
Home About Me Review Policy My Library Book Club Challenges

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Review: The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper
Author: Mitch Albom
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Audiobook: 4 hours and 42 minutes
Narrator:  Dan Stevens
Source:  Free from E-Library

Book Description

From the author who's inspired millions worldwide with books like Tuesdays with Morrie and The Five People You Meet in Heaven comes his most imaginative novel yet, The Time Keeper--a compelling fable about the first man on Earth to count the hours.
The man who became Father Time.
In Mitch Albom's exceptional work of fiction, the inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years.
Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his freedom, along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.
He returns to our world--now dominated by the hour-counting he so innocently began--and commences a journey with two unlikely partners: one a teenage girl who is about to give up on life, the other a wealthy old businessman who wants to live forever. To save himself, he must save them both. And stop the world to do so.
Told in Albom's signature spare, evocative prose, this remarkably original tale will inspire readers everywhere to reconsider their own notions of time, how they spend it, and how precious it truly is.

Review

As you might know, I love every book I have read by Mitch Albom.  He is clearly my go to author for a good story.  He's the man as far as I am concerned.  This book is right up there with all the others.  It's harder for me write a review on a book I love.  It really is.  So bare with me on this one.
This book is about a man who invents the very first clock to keep track time and he then becomes Father Time.  It is not a blessing but a curse.  Father Time is imprisoned in a cave with only the voices of everyone, everywhere for centuries to keep him company.  After centuries and centuries he is finally released with the sole purpose to help two unrelated people appreciate time and teach them the real meaning of it.  Now he must find them and make sure they understand before time runs out.  
This (in my opinion) is the first book you don't question yourself, if it is real or not.  Most of his books make the readers feel as if they are reading non-fiction.  This is not the case for this book.  I loved this book!  Mitch Albom is a clear and vivid story teller that pulls the reader along with such care.  I think he selects each and every single word and makes sure it is in the proper place before giving it over to his editor.  He cares about the story so much you can feel it and it makes me think he cares about me the reader too.  I love this book.  
There are very few writers who's work is good for all readers at all ages.  This fantasy inspired book would be an excellent read for the teenage audience as well as adults.  I love this book.  
The narrator Dan Stevens did a wonderful job reading the book as well.  His pace, inflections and change in voice for each characters was on point.  I love this book.  
As I am writing this review I am trying to think where this would rank out of all his work.  It's hard to say.  Tuesdays with Morrie is amazing.  The Five People You Meet in Heaven is perfect.  I don't know. They are equal to me.  Just read it and you will see what I mean.   

Reviews by Other Bloggers

Recommendations

I recommend this book to all readers of all ages.

Challenges

This book is number 14 in my Audiobook Reading Challenge
This book is number  26 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge

Take a Listen


No comments:

Post a Comment